Thursday, June 20, 2013

Why We Teach

This was a tough year for education and in general I get a bit disheartened when I see an influx of the types of people who shouldn't be in education ...or I see more government regulation whose end result is taking time away from the classroom. This year I met the good, the bad and the ugly of college administrators. I saw shockingly bad behavior and got asked some very interesting questions. It was obvious that some of them get what we (teachers) do and others just don't. There were dull blades and some very sharp cookies. The truth is, most people haven't a clue why teachers do what we do...

We teach because: 

- nothing beats that moment in the classroom where you realized they actually "got" it...where the light bulbs go on and you've helped them expand their concepts of life. 

- every day is different, might be the same hill we're climbing each semester, but each group of students is different and needs different approaches. 

- it uses every single fiber of your intellect, energy, patience and spirit.

- it gives back what you took.

- we're a bit bossy.

- we get paid to learn. 

- once you understand the path, you have to show it to others. 

- it's the right thing to do. 

- what else could be as challenging trying to figure out what it will take to help each student see which step they need next? 

I'm sure I've missed some of the reasons you teach...please feel free to share if I missed what inspired you.

This will be my last post for this blog as I'm spending the summer getting ready for school in the fall. Thank you so much for giving me your time.   Best wishes, Ann


4 comments:

  1. Loved your blog today, Ann. And would only add another varation: --it's fun to get paid for talking about what you love. My best to you. LM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always said I learn more from my students. That's one of the best parts of being an educator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might add, that as educators we also are aware of the responsibility to the art... and more so to the world at large. I know that each time I enter into the classroom I consider how each student has the opportunity to change how we live, understand and move forward. Knowing that we have an ability to empower and express that the future is not necessarily ours, but more theirs always makes me realize how important the act of educating can be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paying attention is something I've never been good at but it is something I need to

    ReplyDelete